As I sit here typing the sky is blue, the sun is shining and our local restaurant has meals inspired by Perthshire foraging. The clocks have gone forward and suddenly everyone’s mood has lifted to blend in with the light nights and brighter days. It can only mean that Spring has arrived.
If all of these little signs aren' quite enoughto convice you that its time to pack away your scarf and hat, pull out your shades and dust off your sandals then take a walk down the aisle of any of your local supermarkets!
Wall-to-wall Easter Eggs are lining up in supermarkets, corner shops and delis (our local "The Scottish Deli" has an amazing range of Scottish Chocolatier' Eggs that I just know I' going to end up over indulging in... All in the name of research for you, my lovely visitors you understand! If you' joining us in Perthshire this Easter and need some ideas for keeping the kids amused – and giving them an outlet to run off some of that sugar! – then read on.
Home From Home has been investigating and we’ve pinned down some of the Best Easter Activities in Perthshire.
1. Blair Atholl Castle is only a 15 minute drive from Pitlochry and a 40 minute drive from Perth City Centre. Their their April programme includes everything from a treasure hunt around the grounds to a farm walk to see the newborn lambs and calves. Easter Sunday sees their annual fan day and this year it’s all about the EGG OLYMPICS! A well trained, hard-boiled egg is recommended! Visit our events page for full details.
3. For something a bit more regal then why not drop into Scone Palace’s Easter Weekend Extravaganza? Held in the grounds of this 5-star visitor attraction, you will find Easter Egg Rolling on Moot Hill (take your own painted egg), Easter Hunt in the Maze, Easter Themed Trail in the Gardens, Face Painting, Pottery Painting and Outdoor Games. Their café on site is really tasty and Scones at Scone are a must! Our events page has full programme details, times and charges
4. Being in Perthshire, there are some wonderful outdoors inspired Easter Egg Hunts; run by the National Trust for Scotland you will find Trails in both The Hermitage and at Killiecrankie. The woodlands and walks among them make for an authentic hunt that kids will simply adore. Follow the train, collect clues and solve the puzzle to win a Cadbury Easter Treat! Hermitage is on Saturday, Killiecrankie on Sunday so keen eggsplorers can fit in both! Full Details
5. Of course nothing burns off Easter Egg Energy like a splash about in the pool. This month Live Active Leisure have a full Easter Programme on and you will find a huge number of fun activities and sports for the kids throughout fifteen Perthshire venues – check it out here
There we are Home From Home' Top Five Family Fun Ideas in Perthshire this Easter! Our last tip? Make sure to enjoy yourself - and to call in for some of those artisan eggs!
Premiere venue en Ecosse, joli cottage au bord de la riviere tres agreable. Un peu juste en temperature pour profiter de la terrasse mais nouse a ons apprecie le calme. Ronde de 5 h autour de Blair Atholl escapade en voiture dans la valloie Glen Shee, visite de distilleries- un bon sejour.
* New for 2020 - this warm and welcoming apartment in the highland town of Aberfeldy makes the perfect base for a relaxing holiday in Perthshire.
The Crown Apartment
We have known this house since it was built. We have enjoyed a very comfortable and happy week here with the family. Having lived in Pitlochry for five years it is always a pleasure to return. Forbes family, Bearsden.